Re: [OctDev] On the union of two communities - The GNU Octave atmosphere

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: [OctDev] On the union of two communities - The GNU Octave atmosphere
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 13:50:34 +0200

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Jacob Dawid <address@hidden> wrote:
> I proposed to use collaboration platform like Open Atrium (free software
> licensed under GPL) already some time ago. It would fit this scenario
> perfectly, because users can register on such a platform, write something
> about themselves and then join workgroups dedicated to a certain task. So,
> we would have been a single community on a member level, but at some point
> working isolated in groups (each group has it's own bugtracker and wiki)
> depending on our interests. You can be a member of several groups, if you
> wish.
>
> On the website of a friend and me we were setting up an atrium instance for
> our own, accumulated free software projects. You may take a look there to
> get a feel of what I mean: http://community.moon-studios.com/
>
> The reason this proposal did not get any grip was that the octave site is
> hosted on Savannah and they only allow static pages. Open Atrium requires
> php.
>
> I think there are valid points in having a separation as well as having
> unity.

There are also two levels of discussion.

1. Is the community fragmented? I think not and gave my reasons before.

2. Are we using good tools to collaborate? I think the tolls where ok
until recently and now it is a phase of changes. Carnë have been
talking about migrating the package/module development and bug/feature
tracking for a while already. I tihnk if we want to do this
effectively we need a task force (a small group of people) that know
what they are talking about (this rules e out! :D) and implement the
changes using their criteria.

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----