Re: Octave warnings

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Octave warnings
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 09:00:45 -0400

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 10:24 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
BTW, getting location info for warnings is already implemented.  You
just need to do

  warning on backtrace

Maybe we should make this the default?  I don't know.  It could result
in lots of info being dumped to the terminal.  The backtrace option
needs to be documented.  Anyone?

That's great! I didn't know that existed. I would not make this default, the verbosity isn't worth it. Two suggestions come to mind:

1)

A slightly different approach would be to change the available warning states from {"on", "off", "error"} to perhaps {"on", "off", "verbose", "error"}. So, for example

    warning on Octave:broadcast

would behave as it currently does and to get backtraces you could

    warning verbose Octave:broadcast

2)

Another option is to always emit a brief breadcrumb (not the full backtrace) for every warning. Something short and terse like a " (function:line)" suffix so that

    warning: operator +: automatic broadcasting operation applied

becomes

    warning: operator +: automatic broadcasting operation applied (myfunc:32)

My instinct is that this brief hint would be "good enough" in most cases to find the offending code.

--judd