Re: Class Project

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Class Project
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 10:14:29 -0400

On 9 October 2012 02:23, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 10/08/2012 11:00 PM, Mark Riehm wrote:
>>
>> I am a junior computer science major and for a class I have to try to
>> improve the performance of an open source project

By the way, Octave isn't primarily open source. It's free:

      http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

>> I have chosen to work on GNU Octave. I am confident in
>> my general C++ skills, but I need help understanding the structure of
>> this project. Specifically, does anyone know where any data structures
>> that cause significant bottlenecks are located?

The biggest bottleneck right now is the interpreter. Can you
understand JIT compilation? Otherwise, do you know how to run Octave
through a profiler?

>> I have been looking at
>> the matrices in the "octave/liboctave/array" folder of the source but
>> have no idea what classes are used for what because there seem to be few
>> comments.
> Try looking at this doxygen description of the classes, inheritance, etc.:
>
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/doxygen/html/class_array.html

The bare-bones Doxygen documentation is a start, but I find it only
slightly more useful than reading header files. I am busy these days,
but I started thinking of your request, and I think I can give you a
starter on a few classes. If within a few days I don't write
something, please ping me again.

- Jordi G. H.