Implementation of importdata belonging to Octave Core or Octave-Forge?

From: Erik Kjellson
Subject: Implementation of importdata belonging to Octave Core or Octave-Forge?
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 21:04:55 +0200

Hello,

I have written an implementation of the Matlab function 'importdata'. I'm getting a bit confused about the borderline between Octave Core and Octave-Forge, so I don't know where it belongs...

My implementation covers most of the functionality in the Matlab version, but not all. For example, I haven't implemented the automatic detection of the column separator. Also, for some special cases (like if you in the data section of the file would have some letters among numeric data) you still get a slightly different output.

The 'importdata' is, as far as I know, a part of Matlab Core rather than a toolbox.
Does the implementation have to be complete to be able to have it in Octave Core?

Or is it better to add it to the Octave-Forge project for now?

regards,
Erik