Re: 4.0 release goals

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: 4.0 release goals
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 14:04:38 -0700 (PDT)

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
> I would like to propose some rather ambitious goals for 4.0, and I
> think we should be bold enough to use a major version number.
>
> In case you missed it in the help list, there's an interesting thread
> about the GUI. Israel Herraiz forked it and stabilised it:
>

> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/When-will-the-new-GUI-be-ready-tp4645798p4645846.html
>
> I would like to prioritise getting the GUI stabilised so we can start
> contemplating making a release. I think our 4.0 release goals should
> be:
>
>     - fltk enabled by default
>     - Stable GUI
>     - JIT compiling working
>     - Windows and Mac OS X binaries
>
> We're already made many inroads into many of these goals. What do you
> guys think, can we do it?

IMO bug #34631 is a showstopper for Windows binaries. Gnuplot is also
affected.

As far as I could investigate it could be a problem in the fontconfig libs
or -code. Perhaps overflow related to the majority of Windows installations
having 100-200 fonts or more installed, i.e. much more than the average *nix
installation. But that's just a guess. Maybe it is a memory leak, who knows.

As to the other features, I'd agree they should all be in a 4.0. Perhaps
they can be integrated stepwise in a 3.8.x version.

I've seen the Octave on Windows 8 bug reports; but I think that shouldn't
stop us from releasing 4.0.

Philip