Re: Qt/gui on MacOSX

From: sfeam (Ethan Merritt)
Subject: Re: Qt/gui on MacOSX
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 08:27:51 -0800

On Tuesday, 06 November 2012, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
> The author of the Qt driver for gnuplot believes that the Qt driver can
> be done without fork.  Unfortunately, no one on gnuplot developer list
> uses Windows so the concept can't be tested thoroughly unless someone
> with a Windows machine volunteers to assist a little.

Qt was working just fine on linux with no fork.
It is specifically OSX that is the problem;
the no-fork version doesn't work on OSX.
I'm not sure about Qt on Windows, but wxt is working fine there
so that's an acceptable alternative.

> So if avoiding the fork could be accomplished and OS X were to use the
> Qt driver instead of X-windows driver, that might partially simplify things.

Huh?  But x11 has always worked on OSX so far as I know.
It's just that typical OSX users don't like x11.

But note also that despite the concerns about slower
response if Qt communication has to go via a pipe,
the fork and no-fork builds on linux are not noticeably
different in their responsiveness.  So although I still
think it is ugly to have to fork and communicate via
a pipe, I have to admit that in practice it doesn't
seem to be a problem

        Ethan