Re: Roadmap to 3.8.N

From: Israel Herraiz
Subject: Re: Roadmap to 3.8.N
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 21:51:16 +0100

Excerpts from Daniel Carrera's message of Thu Nov 08 20:43:25 +0100 2012:
> Ok, I have played with Octave-UPM on Ubuntu 12.04, so I can give you some
> feedback. First of all, I think it is going in a great direction.  I also
> realize that this is development code, so I can't expect everything to
> work. But here are my observations:
>
> 1. I've had a hard time moving sub-windows (e.g. command window,
> directories, history, worspace). For example, I have not been able to put
> the command window in the centre and the other windows on the sides. That
> looks like an issue with Qt, so I don't suppose you can do anything about
> that.

Yes. The default layout in GNU/Linux is not very useful. In the
Windows version, the default layout is more friendly. Although moving
the Windows around is also tricky.

> 2. The console would work better if it used a monospaced font. That way you
> could read a data file and the columns would line up. The font also behaves
> a little... weird. Characters jump sideways when I move the cursor. The
> best way I can describe it is that the back rectangle that is supposed to
> represent the position of the cursor is drawn two steps to the right...

The problem with the windows layout and the fonts is due to a missing
default config file. That's a problem of the Ubuntu package.

Copy this file into ~/.config/octave-upm/ and the layout will be more
appropriate:
https://forja.rediris.es/svn/octaveupm/trunk/gui/src/config/settings

For the fonts, go to Edit -> Settings -> Other tools and change the
font. With any of the fonts, the cursor should behave as expected (not
erratically).

The Windows version use the default config file, so you should not
experience these problems.

> Anyway, I will test Octave-UPM tomorrow on the university computers. Thanks
> for making it available.

Great. Please let me know about your experience with the Windows
version.

Thanks!

Israel