Re: Result: Octave-UPM on Windows :-(

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Result: Octave-UPM on Windows :-(
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 11:14:21 -0500

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Israel Herraiz <address@hidden> wrote:
Excerpts from Daniel Carrera's message of Fri Nov 09 16:55:57 +0100 2012:
> Ok. As promised, today I went to the computer lab and I just spent an hour
> trying to get Octave-UPM working. Unfortunately, I failed. The culprit was
> the MVSC100.dll library.
>
> Initially I just installed the main Octave-UPM package and ignored the
> library (I got the impression that it was "extras", rather than a
> requirement). After I installed Octave-UPM, Windows refused to run it,
> complaining about the absence of MVSC100.dll. I tried downloading it
> online, to no avail. I eventually realized that the libraries link on the
> Octave-UPM website is an executable that contains this library, so I tried
> it. The installer ran for a while and then it hanged. I tried other
> installers that I found online, including Microsoft's website. Some seemed
> to go the whole way and then fail, others seemed to hang halfway, some
> complained that I wasn't installing them as administrator, and so on.

I use Visual Studio to compile everything, so you will need that
library. I am providing the Microsoft Visual Studio redistributable in
the same website as the installer, but I think it will require admin
permissions to install.

I am releasing a new version soon. I will try to include the required
libraries as an option with the installer.

There are 2 issues here:
1) I think you need a professional license of Visual Studio in order to redistribute the MSVC runtime DLL (the redistributable DLL's are only bundled with the professional version); otherwise you have to direct users to download the DLL package from MS website (not sure whether you host that file either), and this package requires sysadmin to install
2) there have been a lot of discussion about GPL and the MSVC DLL's, and don't want to repeat that here, but the summary is: you are allowed to link against the MSVC DLL, but you are not allowed to distribute the DLL bundled with octave in an installer

Michael.