Re: Result: Octave-UPM on Windows :-(

From: Benjamin Abbott
Subject: Re: Result: Octave-UPM on Windows :-(
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 12:55:12 -0500

On Nov 10, 2012, at 12:44 PM, Benjamin Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On Nov 10, 2012, at 12:31 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:

On 10 November 2012 12:30, Alexander Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11/10/12 10:14 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 10 November 2012 06:03, Jacob Dawid <address@hidden> wrote:
The problem is that we are collecting experience with using VS and by doing
that we promote non-free software.

There's also a practical problem with distribution here, since given
Visual Studio's non-free nature, our users have to go and chase
additional libraries on their own, since we are not free to give them
those libraries ourselves.

A similar problem occurs with Xcode and free distribution on Mac OS X.

Except that Xcode *doesn't install libraries*.

It installs headers, right? What's in the "command line tools for
Xcode" that we can't distribute freely?

- Jordi G. H.

I've been meaning look at the copyright for the headers used by Xcode, but keep forgetting.  Has anyone taken a peek?

Ben

A google from my phone found this.

http://kennethreitz.com/xcode-gcc-and-homebrew.html

Ben