Re: Result: Octave-UPM on Windows :-(

From: Israel Herraiz
Subject: Re: Result: Octave-UPM on Windows :-(
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 18:51:45 +0100

Excerpts from Pedro's message of Sun Nov 11 14:16:04 +0100 2012:
> I don't know what's more "easy". Pay this M$ license (with recently
> heavy financial cuts in spanish public university as UPM), or spent
> the time to resolve it.

Easier means dedicating less time to compile and make an installer. I
don't directly pay for the license, and the license is already
available, regardless I use it or not. I would prefer using free
software to compile, but my time is finite, and for me, compiling with
free software has a lower priority than other (personal) tasks.

> I prefer better paid teachers than this kind of license.

Totally agree (disclaimer: I am a teacher who prefers to be better
paid :).

> If the license is paid, the way is to resolve the dependence to not
> pay anymore.
>
> And UPM is not alone.
> I think a lot of universities, are using octave in windows. So is a
> collective effort.

Again, I agree on that. Actually, any help to build my sources with
MinGW will be very much appreciated. I have a project (in Spanish) at
the RedIRIS forja: https://forja.rediris.es/projects/octaveupm/

You are very welcome to participate and help me out with the
compilation in Windows. As a side (joint) effect, we can help to the
build process of the rest Octave (everything but the GUI) in Windows,
which is very tricky and painful.

I agree also in what you say about getting rid of Windows (I provide
packages for GNU/Linux, and some of my students use them). But the
fact is that Windows is still a majority in Spanish labs and
departments. I think that providing free software for Windows is a
first step towards a full switch to free software.

Cheers,
Israel