Re: JIT documentation et al.

From: Rik
Subject: Re: JIT documentation et al.
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 10:49:03 -0800

On 11/11/2012 10:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 11:49:11 -0500
> From: "Michael D. Godfrey" <address@hidden>
> To: Max Brister <address@hidden>
> Subject: Octave JIT
>
> I looked in the current Manual and noticed that there
> not much description of the JIT compiler.  Chapter 19 might
> be a good place for a description.
>
> One reason I wanted to look in the Manual was to find out
> if there is a way to determine if the compiler is active or
> available.  There will surely be times when users will want to
> know, and in the future there may be some JIT parameters
> available to users.  Since the compiler can be turned on or
> off from the Octave command line option, is it feasible to
> turn it on or off from inside Octave code?
>
> This is a very important new feature of Octave which is
> coming soon, so documentation in the Manual will be
> essential.
11/11/12

Michael,

Unfortunately the documentation is always lagging a bit behind the actual
code, even in the development branch.  I always make sure, just before a
release, that each available function is at least mentioned in the manual.
It would be useful for JIT to have more documentation about what kinds of
loops can be successfully accelerated, what guidelines are used for
selecting a loop for acceleration, the actual process, etc.

The current list of undocumented functions along with the note to myself is
below.  Anyone is welcome to work on the documentation.

Add these functions to NEWS, txi files, and add contributors to list:
base64_decode
base64_encode
built_in_docstrings_file
copyobj