Re: [OctDev] complex error function

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [OctDev] complex error function
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 11:31:25 -0500

On 22 November 2012 11:01, Steven G. Johnson <address@hidden> wrote:

> GSL seems to prefer its own implementations of special functions (and other
> algorithms, for that matter); it rarely links external libraries, even when
> the implementations in external libraries are far superior to GSL's.

With GSL, my suggestion was to actually maintain your code there if
GNU libc won't work, but I suspect you might object to the GPL?

> The Julia source, when I checked it a week or two ago, distributes its own
> copies of nearly all external code, presumably so as to limit dependencies.

Yeah, this is another problem with Julia. Its authors are mostly Mac
OS X advocates, which has pretty awful package managing systems, so
SLFE is their preferred solution.

> glibc, if they were to accept a cerf contribution, would presumably want it
> as part of glibc (like all of their other special functions) and not as an
> external library.

Yeah, I think this would be optimal.

> Non-free software almost always packages their own copies of dependencies
> rather than relying on the user to install dependencies separately.

The point here is not to make users install anything separately. When
I install software on my machine, the package manager chases down the
dependencies. When Julia fixes their distribution model, they will
make binaries that already have the dependencies.

- Jordi G. H.