Re: [OctDev] moving Octave Forge mailing list to core's mailman server

From: Daniel J Sebald
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 12:58:21 -0600

On 11/25/2012 11:47 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:
On 23 November 2012 19:17, Carnë Draug<address@hidden>  wrote:
Hi everyone

I'm proposing moving the current Octave Forge mailing list
(address@hidden) to the same server as as the ones
from Octave core. My suggestion is to have the following octave
related mailing lists:

* address@hidden - same as now, discussion of development of Octave core
Octave Forge
* address@hidden - mailing list for discussion of any help related to
Octave (packages included)

I spoke with JWE about this and he suggested to keep only the
maintainers and help mailing lists, moving the development discussions
of Octave Forge to the Octave core maintainers mailing list. That
should avoid any confusion new users may have.

I do not oppose to it, after all there's not that many Octave Forge
only development threads.

Traffic fluctuates. Sometimes one is more active than the other. Before combining these two, how about considering some alternate names? I get both mailing lists at the moment. I do like the separation for the reason you explained very well a month or two ago, i.e., folks tend to gravitate toward one list because it is too much to pay attention to everything.

To me, "forge" is simply too generic. That the term "forge" may be common for other projects doesn't change that fact. We feel these two are good:

address@hidden
address@hidden

As the third category, how about:

address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden

Any confusion could be cleared up as part of the Octave.org web page. Although the web page does explain matters well in terms of expected help, it doesn't present mailing list info in a succinct and clear way. If instead the "Mailing Lists" info were organized either graphically or in table format:

address@hidden     address@hidden     address@hidden

    blurb                    blurb                       blurb

where the blurbs might be something like

help: For introductory and operational details slightly beyond program syntax.

applications: For advanced features such as packages and interface to other software.

maintainers: For programming specifics related to the core C++ code.

Now, if we want to combine bug reports for applications and maintainers in the same tracker, that's fine, but have a drop-down category that makes the distinction. Also, for the HTML shortcut for "address@hidden" we could replace launching an email to a link of the explanation about expected help, i.e., a short little detour to help weed out beginners asking rudimentary syntax questions. Put the email launch shortcut there.

Dan