Re: java and fc16

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: java and fc16
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 14:03:33 -0600

On 11/26/2012 01:09 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 11/25/2012 06:12 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
Michael Godfrey wrote
On 11/25/12 11:36 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
I had the same error (jni.h not found) and solved it by, before
running
./configure, setting JAVA_HOME to the place where the Java stuff
lives.
I thought about that, but since in my system at least, there
seemed to be java stuff here there and everywhere with lots of
symlinks, I decided on a more specific patch. This was not meant to
be a real solution, just a test.

Yeah, Java installation isn't quite standardized across distros and
operating systems :-(

I know little about Java so started reading, and just got to this topic.
There's was a push to standardized, then withdrawn. Now there is the
Oracle de facto standard.

Ahum, "de facto standard".... you forget that each distro and OS
develops its own "standard" to hide the Java stuff. Fedora and
Mandriva/Mageia look quite similar, but on Ubuntu the Java JDK is in a
different place; on Windows it is again somewhere else, Mac OSX largely
amended the naming convention.

Guess I meant the byte code aspects of it. But yes, I also read there is some platform specific stuff swept under the rug in all implementations.

Anyway, for those of us unfamiliar to Java, what does the Java package /
scripts do? I see the NEWS item about it. It seems like it creates
dialog boxes.

Yes the ????dlg scripts were made by Martin Hepperle as they didn't
exist (yet) in Octave, he needed them and they could very easily be made
using a bit of Java code and some C++.
Maybe these dialog functions have to be dropped once they are supported
natively in Qt or OpenGL.

The Java package/system allows you to invoke many many Java libs
belonging to the Java system itself, and many many libs written by third
parties; the latter may be OSS or proprietary. There are Java libraries
and packages for about anything conceivable; not that they are all as good.
Anyway Java doesn't have to be alone. Maybe one day there'll be a Python
package allowing Octave to link to the many Python libs out there. Or a
bridge to some other cross-platform language.

One at a time. :-)

To me Java is just a means to be able to use pre-baked libraries made
for specific tasks that would have taken me much more time would I have
coded in e.g., C++. Nothing more, nothing less.

I used it to develop the spreadsheet I/O routines, as there are many
good quality Java solutions out there. In my case it was a simple choice
between having to invest a lot of time in obtaining a rigid proficiency
in C++, autotools and gdb, or just spending my limited time for Octave
developing easily debugged Octave script language and leaving the lower
level code to third parties.

I guess. From what I've heard, gdb is pretty good for database work, so maybe it is worth knowing.

Does it create Java Byte Code? Or is it a means to interact with already
running Java Byte Code? Are there any security issues by supporting Java
in this way?

The second, interacting with pre-compiled byte code.

OK, that coincides with your use above.

Oh and I wouldn't run a web server written in Java.

Yeah, "byte code", if I understand correctly (i.e., some Java byte code translates directly to machine code in real time) sounds risky system wise.

Dan