Re: svmtrain/svmclassify

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: svmtrain/svmclassify
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 11:52:10 -0600

On 12/09/2012 07:43 AM, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 11:33 PM, Carnë Draug<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 8 December 2012 23:20, Ben P<address@hidden>  wrote:
I recently did a support vector machine project.  It's at the point where I
don't think it'd be too much more work to add a simple svmtrain/svmclassify
to Octave.

Would there be any interest in something like this?  What package would it
belong in?  I didn't notice a machine learning package.

Hi Ben

in Matlab these two functions appear to be in the bioinformatics
toolbox so my guess is that it would also go in the bioinfo package.
The package is currently unmaintained but if you submit those two
functions I'd be happy to include them.

Carnë

I do not think support vector machines would be easy, nor natural to
find in the bioinformatics package.

I would suggest to merge nnet and svm into a single package called
machine-learning.

I was going to suggest this as well. This also reflects the trend in technical literature where SVM now seems to have a presence in what used to be mostly ANN (e.g., IEEE Transaction on Neural Networks and Learning Systems).

The other logical place for SVM would be optimization because at the core of SVM is typically a quadratic programming problem with a Lagrangian.

Dan