Re: svmtrain/svmclassify

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: svmtrain/svmclassify
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 20:28:40 +0100

On 9 December 2012 14:43, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 11:33 PM, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 8 December 2012 23:20, Ben P <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I recently did a support vector machine project.  It's at the point where I
>>> don't think it'd be too much more work to add a simple svmtrain/svmclassify
>>> to Octave.
>>>
>>> Would there be any interest in something like this?  What package would it
>>> belong in?  I didn't notice a machine learning package.
>>
>> Hi Ben
>>
>> in Matlab these two functions appear to be in the bioinformatics
>> toolbox so my guess is that it would also go in the bioinfo package.
>> The package is currently unmaintained but if you submit those two
>> functions I'd be happy to include them.
>>
>> Carnë
>
> I do not think support vector machines would be easy, nor natural to
> find in the bioinformatics package.

When a function exists in a matlab toolbox, this has been the rule for
the decision in which package it goes. If not, look at all the
functions that no longer make sense. For example, minmax (nnet),
in2vec (nnet), isposint (nnet), iptchecknargin (image), iptnum2ordinal
(image). I'm sure there are many others. The idea is that if someone
knows a function exists in matlab, then it already knows in what
package to look for it. Unless we change the decision factor, in which
case we'd need to move a lot of functions around, and fix
dependencies.

Carnë