Re: Overhaul of Java auto-detection

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Overhaul of Java auto-detection
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 18:17:53 +0100

Rik wrote:
On 12/10/2012 04:34 PM, address@hidden wrote:
Message: 5
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 15:26:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Philip Nienhuis<address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

Rik-4 wrote
12/10/12

All,

I just pushed a changeset which significantly changes (improves?) the way
Java is detected if JAVA_HOME has not been set
(http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/56239ff815a3).  There are
likely to be kinks which need working out and I particularly need feedback
from Mac OS X systems.  Despite all those caveats, I think this is a much
better strategy for detection than having a laundry list of directories to
check for each operating system and distribution.
Sorry to say, but now Java isn't properly picked up any more on my Linux dev
box (Mageia-2).
All configure does now is echo the entered value for JAVA_HOME; the include
dirs etc are blank.

W/o JAVA_HOME it doesn't work better; after an hg update (pulling your very
changeset), configure ran again but after a while the build broke with
complaints about missing jni.h
Philip,

Since configure.ac was changed you need to run bootstrap in order to
regenerate the configure script before running it.

Ah that may explain a thing or two. Thanks.
(Checking out again, will let you know later tonight how it fared.)

'hg pull; hg update; bootstrap; configure; make'

If you can, run './configure --your-options | tee confdbg.log' and I can
take a look at what configure discovered.

Shouldn't that be in configure.log as well? (I know that file can get a bit large) or does this only echo the regular output (i.e., not the errors)?

Philip