Re: gnulib warnings when compiling Faddeeva.cc

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: gnulib warnings when compiling Faddeeva.cc
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 08:29:22 -0500

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 14 December 2012 14:13, Steven G. Johnson <address@hidden> wrote:

b) use <cmath> and GNULIB_NAMESPACE::floor; this may be nonportable since it
assumes that the system <cmath> header includes math.h and is compatible
with the gnulib math.h

This isn't any more nonportable than math.h unless you have a perhaps
justifiable C++ phobia; cmath is supposed to be exactly the same as
math.h and calls the same functions;

You are missing the point: gnulib provides a replacement for math.h, not for cmath. It is not cmath that is potentially nonportable, it is the assumption that (1) the system cmath includes math.h and (2) the system cmath is compatible with gnulib's math.h.

On an unrelated note, I was thinking, I want to stomp all over the
style in your Faddeeva file, such as for example fixing the whitespace
(no tabs!) and getting rid of the needless C macros. Since this is our
function now and you are tracking our hg repo so you can easily merge
back, this is ok, right?

I'm not going to merge those changes upstream. When I make a change upstream, it is not "easy" to merge the change downstream if you have changed all the whitespace etc, unless you have some version of diff and patch that I don't.