Re: Code of Conduct?

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct?
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 17:47:40 -0700

On 12/15/12 4:35 PM, Michael D. Godfrey wrote:
> On 12/15/2012 06:26 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>> Perhaps the next step should be drafting a code-of-conduct on the wiki?
>>
>> Once the code-of-conduct becomes stable, it can be moved to the "Get
>> Involved" page at octave.org
> Not a good idea.  Lets just forget this and get on with what we can do
> to be useful.
>
> Just to may things clear: a code of conduct will mean that I will remove
> my name form the list.
>
> Michael

I don't see the need for a code of conduct, either.  Go with a simple
approach:

1)  Have a list administrator.  You probably do already since my inbox
isn't full of SPAM. :-)
2)  Have the administrator read the list mail.
3)  Use common sense.  We can all tell when someone is off-topic and
offensive.  Anyone who can't shouldn't be a list admin.
4)  Based on 3), if the admin decides that enough is enough by whatever
criterion, they can do what is needed--on the lists I moderate it's easy
to force a subscriber's posts all to be moderated.

If people really want community policing, then an email list is NOT the
way to go.  I get almost as annoyed by dealing with a string of replies
to an off-topic and offensive post as to the original post.  Nip it in
the bud.