Re: gnulib warnings when compiling Faddeeva.cc

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: gnulib warnings when compiling Faddeeva.cc
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 19:30:25 -0500

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 15 December 2012 13:18, Steven G. Johnson <address@hidden> wrote:
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
Well, this is why we have a DVCS, right? We can easily maintain two
branches of this file. Probably not worth the effort for such minor
cosmetic differences, though.

DCVS doesn't help with something like this -- if you want to maintain two
versions of a file that differ in their indentation etcetera, then you have
to make all changes to both versions manually, because diff and patch won't
work.

hg doesn't actually use diff(1) and patch(1). And a DVCS does help
with this. You make the change once in one branch, you never have to
make it again in the other branch. You just merge it to the other
branch and the DVCS history makes it in the corresponding locations.

hg uses difflib, which is line-based delta algorithm similar in effect if not in implementation; in particular, it treats lines with differing whitespace and similar "cosmetic" changes as entirely different.

And because the delta algorithm is line-based, trying to merge changes from one branch to another branch in which the indenting has been changed will result in a merge conflict, which you will have to clean up manually.