Re: Multithreaded FFTW3 in octave?

From: Andreas Weber
Subject: Re: Multithreaded FFTW3 in octave?
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 01:05:59 +0100

Am 13.12.2012 03:41, schrieb Mike Miller:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 8:30 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
>> On 12-Dec-2012, Andreas Weber wrote:
>>
>> | Why does octave not use the multithreaded FFTW3 libs or am I missing a
>> | configure flag?
>>
>> Because no one has done the work for it?
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> That looks like a nice performance improvement.  Would you like to
>> propose a complete patch that
> Yeah, I like the sound of this additional option, thanks for bringing
> it to our attention. If you do plan on working on it please keep us
> updated, or least me, I'm interested in trying this out.
Hi Mike, I've attached a "first shot" patch which

* added --disable-fftw-threads
* checks for fftw_threads and fftwf_threads.
  Doesn't use multithreaded fftw when disabled or libs not found
* setter and getter with "fftw ("threads")" as suggested by you

I had to do a bigger rewrite of fftw because it expected that both
arguments are string values.

> Yes, definitely needs a configure test. I did a quick test and these
> threading functions are not in my self-compiled FFTW library.
You have to compile with --enable-threads to get them

I'll add some tests for fftw the next days.

Regards, Andy