Re: History changes

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: History changes
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 18:52:44 -0500

On 20-Dec-2012, Rik wrote:

| Also, should we have a sensible default value for N if history is called
| with no input?  Previously, it would display the entire history starting
| from 1.  This could be pages worth of text if you keep the default
| history_size of 1024.  Now, the default is 1 which produces just the last
| command -- which is always history itself.  This is odd.  See sample
| session below.
|
| octave:8> x = 1
| x =  1
| octave:9> history
|  1033 history
| octave:10> history
|  1034 history
|
| I would think a value for N in the range of 10-20 would be a good default

If we do that, then how do we get all of the entries?  It is not the
same as the value of history_size.  That's the number of entries to
save.  You can have more in the current list than that.  So I guess
I'd vote for having history by itself just print or return them all.
Or, maybe we should be limiting the number of elements in the history
list to history_size?