Re: update: cross compiling Octave for MinGW systems

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: update: cross compiling Octave for MinGW systems
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 03:14:26 -0500

On 12-Dec-2012, nitnit wrote:

| John W. Eaton wrote
| >   HDF5:  I have not yet found a way to build the HDF5 libraries for
| >          MinGW, and they seemed to have dropped support recently.
|
| I could successfully build hdf5-1.8.10 on my MinGW(w32)/gcc-4.7.2 system
| (after building and installing zlib) by manually adding the following two
| defines to the src/H5pubconf.h (after it has been built by configure):
|
| #define H5_HAVE_WIN32_API 1
| #define H5_HAVE_MINGW 1

Thanks for the tip.  I updated the version I'm using to hdf-1.8.10 and
with the added defines above and some additional changes for the build
system I'm able to cross compile HDF5.  I've also added LLVM, Qt, and
QScintilla to the list of dependencies so the latest version of my fork
of MXE builds Octave with the JIT compiler and GUI enabled.

| Recently, I have updated my MinGW environment to gcc-4.7.2, and I am now
| trying to re-build octave and all its dependencies. I am doing it in my
| spare time and I getting progress.

I plan to modify the MXE Makefiles so that they can be used in a
native environment as well.  Then building all the dependencies with
MinGW on a Windows system should also be fairly straightforward.