Re: control toolbox - time delays

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: control toolbox - time delays
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 17:56:09 +0000

On 10 January 2013 10:50,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Carnė,
>
> Thanks for the fast response and the access.
>
> I have a question regarding the repository, so as not to mess thing up (I
> have to admit that my svn experience is limited).
> For the time delay implementation I need to make changes in some core class
> files of the control package (mainly in the @lti folder). Lukas proposed to
> make a branch, like control_delay branch, and work there. This will not
> crash any of the current code and makes me also more confident in making
> changes. The problem is that I am not really sure how to do that.
>
> I would do the following:
>
> 1. svn info http://svn.code.sf.net/p/octave/code/trunk | grep Revision
> 2. svn mkdir http://svn.code.sf.net/p/octave/code/branches/control_delay
> 3. svn cp
> http://svn.code.sf.net/p/octave/code/trunk/octave-forge/main/control
> http://svn.code.sf.net/p/octave/code/branches/control_delay -m "Branching
> from trunk to control_delay at HEAD_REVISION"
>
> and then check out the control_delay to my working directory.
>
> Please tell me if the previous is correct or I need to follow a different
> approach.

You probably want to branch "octave-forge/extra/control-devel" instead
of "octave-forge/main/control". Also, you don't need `svn mkdir`, the
`svn copy` command should create the directory for you.

It might make more sense to have all the control packages branches on
its own directory and have something like the following organization:

octave-forge/main/control   # trunk goes here
octave-forge/extra/control-branches   # place for control packages branches
octave-forge/extra/control-branches/lukas   # what is currently inside
control-devel
octave-forge/extra/control-branches/delay   # your branch

As Lukas is the package maintainer, I'd ask him for his preference on
the layout but either way is fine for me.

Carnë