Re: new postgresql package

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: new postgresql package
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 10:15:25 +0100

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 07:19:43PM -0500, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Olaf Till <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > can I maintain my postgresql package at forge? Package README
> > attached.
> >

> Did you consider the existing (orphaned) database package? Maybe you could
> merge with it (removing whatever doesn't work) and take ownership of the
> package?

I had roughly scanned the database package and decided to start from
scratch. Merging with 'database' would now mean to replace its
postgresql part. But from what I understand in 'database', the user
interface of my package is designed differently (e.g. parameters
passable from Octave to postgresql, specification of type of these
parameters with postgresql typenames, user-function for updating known
types, format of returned Octave values same as format of passed
Octave values) so I think it would not fit. Also, I'm ignorant on
interface libraries to mysql and sqlite and of ODBC libraries since I
only use postgresql; and I'm ignorant on SWIG.

I don't think I could merge and take over.

Do you know the database package well? From what I read in the list I
thought it does not work now. Is that not true?

Olaf