Re: control toolbox - time delays

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: control toolbox - time delays
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 12:38:44 -0500

On 14 January 2013 17:31, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
> Anyway how does branching differ between SVN and Mercurial?

The biggest difference is that merging *works* in hg:

    http://hginit.com/00.html

Briefly, if you branch off trunk to featureX in svn, and you
frequently merge trunk into featureX, when you're ready to merge
featureX back into trunk in svn, you have to treat every difference
between featureX and trunk as a conflict in the merge. In hg, this is
actually a trivial operation from the user point of view.

> If you guys move octave-forge to hg, I hope that I do not have to
> clone and/or update the entire repo, but only the package I maintain
> (io).

No, as I said before, the idea is one repo per OF package. I'm not
sure exactly what to do about some of the OF code that is not inside
any package, but it doesn't seem like anyone cares about that, except
for the webpages.

> If I need to e.g., rebase my csets because meanwhile something was
> updated in some other package, I think I'll give up maintaining io.

Rebasing and/or merges are a fact of life when working with other
people, regardless of the VCS. If you had to work together with
someone else regularly on an svn project (i.e. same directory), you
would soon see similar problems or worse to what you've experienced
with hg. If you mostly work by yourself on the io package and only
occasionally someone else happens to be giving you patches, you should
not face any serious problems with hg doing rebases or merges.

- Jordi G. H.