Candidate stem-and-leaf plot function

From: Michael D. Godfrey
Subject: Candidate stem-and-leaf plot function
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 23:50:02 -0500

Attached is an m-file which implements the statistical
display method called "stem and leaf."   This method was
developed by John Tukey in the mid 1960's.  I wrote the
first machine version (in Fortran, of course).  The reference
for this is John Tukey's book: Exploratory Data Analysis,
1971.

There is a stem and leaf plot function in the Matlab Central
contributed library.  I made no attempt at compatibility with this
implementation.  It is not much like what was intended by Tukey.

R also has a routine called stem().  I have not tried this, but
it is likely well-done.  Compatibility with R is not a current Octave
objective.

I would like comments as to whether this should be included in
the statistics library, probably in /base for lack of a better place.
Comments about the code, documentation and tests, are very
welcome.  And, if anyone wants to include it they are welcome to do so.

Michael Godfrey