Re: Subscribe maintainers list to the bug/patch tracker [was "Patch to m

From: c.
Subject: Re: Subscribe maintainers list to the bug/patch tracker [was "Patch to make common octave_dock_widget class"]
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 20:30:34 +0100

On 7 Feb 2013, at 19:40, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 7 February 2013 13:56, c. <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The trackers seem like a very good place to store contributions but not as
>> good for carrying on the discussion about them.
>
> Why is it not a good place to carry a discussion about a bug? It's
> very self contained, no one can change the subject line and get the
> discussion split into multiple threads, keeps an history, and anyone
> not on the mailing list can easily be added to the notifications. It's
> the perfect place to carry the discussion about a specific bug. It was
> designed for that purpose.

All true, but I somehow get the feeling that, in practice, patches posted on
the tracker
only get the attention they deserve when the contributor also announces them on
the mailing list.

This was for example the case for the patch from which this thread originated,
and I guess this is
also the reason why Jordi thought about subscribing the list in the first place
…

An example of a patch that would have deserved more attention is, on the other
hand, this one:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?7888

which was not announced on the list AFAIK and has been waiting in vain in the
tracker even though
it solves an issue that has been brought up already a few times on the list in
the past.

This said, I agree with the point that you and jwe made about the tracker being
better at archiving and
organizing the discussion about patches …

c.