Re: Subscribe maintainers list to the bug/patch tracker [was "Patch to m

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: Subscribe maintainers list to the bug/patch tracker [was "Patch to make common octave_dock_widget class"]
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 21:56:57 +0000

On 07/02/2013 20:51, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 02/07/2013 02:14 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:
On 7 February 2013 19:30, c.<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 7 Feb 2013, at 19:40, Carnë Draug<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 7 February 2013 13:56, c.<address@hidden>  wrote:

<snip>

I announced the patch on the list because they can *seem* to go unnoticed on the tracker, probably because bugs have higher priority. I would not announce a bug on the list. The reason for announcing a patch is to prevent someone else doing the same work unnecessarily, not knowing the patch exists. There are some seriously old patches on the tracker that are still marked as open which adds to the fear of it being forgotten/going unnoticed.

The patch tracker traffic seems very low, and has less noise than the bug tracker (probably because you have to take considerably more proactive action to submit a patch than report a suspected bug) which is why I would vote for subscribing the list to the patch tracker, but not the bug tracker.

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.