Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 16:54:07 -0500

Google has just announced GSoC 2013:

http://google-opensource.blogspot.ca/2013/02/flip-bits-not-burgers-google-summer-of.html

Although Octave has participated under the auspices of the GNU project
for GSoC, we will very much be trying to get in to GSoC as an
independent organisation this year, like we tried to last year. To
this end, as a community, we need to present a convincing application.

The two most important things to do this is to polish our ideas page:

    http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas

and our application, of course:

    http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_2013_application

The ideas page needs an update. A lot of progress has been made in
many of those ideas! There is also nothing wrong with new ideas. If
you need inspiration, the Projects page can help, and you can pick
something from there and shape it into a better-defined idea for
prospective students:

    http://wiki.octave.org/Projects

Let's hope Octave really makes a splash in GSoC 2013.

- Jordi G. H.