Re: Testing MXE-Octave

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Testing MXE-Octave
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 09:17:54 +0100

Torsten wrote:
On 11.02.2013 23:14, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
John W. Eaton wrote
On 02/11/2013 01:38 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

Here's some feedback on the most obvious glitches I found in the
previous version (with 3.7.1 snapshot):

<snip>

- The GUI's workspace pane isn't functional - entering something like "a
= 10" doesn't make a show up in the workspace.

Yeah, there are lots of problems with the GUI.  I don't think that these
problems are specific to the MXE cross build.

IIRC it worked OK with the 3.7.1 snapshot on Linux, so I suspect is *is*
related.
The UPM version (admittedly based on 3.6.2) doesn't have this issue. On all
recent Linux builds I've made the workspace pane works good as well.

AFAIK the workspace is updated by a timer and the UPM version does not
use timers (Israel, please correct me if I am wrong). This might explain
why the workspace of the MXE version does not work when the start of a
timer fails at the beginning.

That would fit in nicely with the "QObject::timer cannot be started from main thread"-like messages at startup. As there are two of those messages consecutively, probably some other pane isn't functional as well?

Other problems I noticed with the MXE build:
- using at least 30% of cpu time even when idle

Hmmm, I didn't note that. I'll try to check at work later today (still got the old MXE build there).
Could that be related to the non-functional timers?

- only few fonts usable in the console due to wrong cursor positions

I'll check those as well.

Israel also speeded up pasting text into the console. That issue (very slow pasting) was already mentioned here some weeks ago and also happens on my Linux builds.

I think these problems are not specific to the MXE cross build but
generally to windows builds of the gui.

I think so too. But it is nice to have a "Windows" build to test the GUI, I couldn't build anymore under MinGW since quite a while.

If I have time today I'll see if I can report about the m-file tests. I ran ./m/test/runtests.m with the old build and noted several fails.

Philip