Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 82, Issue 29

From: c.
Subject: Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 82, Issue 29
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 20:47:54 +0100

On 8 Jan 2013, at 19:00, address@hidden wrote:

> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 11:50:40 +0100 (CET)
> From: Marco Caliari <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Cc: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: ilu function
>
> Dear Giovanni,
>
> thank you very much for considering the inclusion of your
> implementation of ILU function in core Octave.
> Of course your actual implementation (maybe rewritten in Octave style) is
> fine for small matrices, and in fact you are considering to "translate" to
> C language to improve the performance.
> However, since the code will be used for sparse matrices, it is not just a
> translation needed, but a complete rewriting using the CCS format.
> Some months ago, I also tried to write the ilu(0) factorization and I
> ended up with some files here enclosed. Basically, luincfull.m is your
> nofill.m and luincsparse.m is the same done with vectors data, ridx, cidx
> of CCS format. If you run testluincsparse.m, you discover that even in
> Octave language the sparse version is faster.
> To conclude, it is a translation into C of luincsparse.m and not of
> luincfull.m that we need. The result would be very similar to subroutine
> ilu0 in chapter 10 in Saad's book, except that we should use the CCS
> format and not the CSR (if you are interested, I translated luincsparse.m
> into Fortran).
> At that time, I stopped working on it and contacted Saad, who knows and
> uses Octave
>
> http://www-users.cselabs.umn.edu/classes/Spring-2012/csci8314/matlab/index.html
>
> and he, or some students of him, were quite interested into the project
> (writing ilu for Octave), but since then (April 2012) I got no more
> answer.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marco

Hi,

As we are preparing the application for Octave to GSOC 2013,
I have added this project to the list of numerical projects:

http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Incomplete_sparse_factorizations_ichol.2C_ilu

Marco, would you like to add yourself as a possible mentor for this project?
Giovanni, if Octave gets accepetd for GSOC this year you could apply as a
student to work on this project?

c.