Re: Octave 3.6.4-rc2 release candidate available for ftp

From: Michael D. Godfrey
Subject: Re: Octave 3.6.4-rc2 release candidate available for ftp
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 17:53:17 -0500

On 02/19/2013 04:33 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
There are at least two problems.  First, there is compatibility with Matlab,
and second, the output rendered by the print() function will be noticeably
different.
It is true that Matlab currently uses 0.5 fro the default. But, they will likely need to do
something when their users notice that their axes are "missing."

And, I agree that the Manual needs improvement. I have done some work on it,
but far from enough.

If the default is not changed it would be very useful if something could be done to avoid users struggling with this. There are users right now who believe, as I did, that the problem is entirely due to FC18 (this, of course, is sort of true since
X11 (or whatever is deciding that the 0.5 width is sometimes invisible)
was changed for FC18).  But, the chance that FC18 will be changed back is,
I think not very big. In the meantime; trouble. I would suggest at least announcing this problem in the NEWS for the next release, and include the fix to be put in .octaverc
for users who need it.

I will check on what this does to PDF output.

Michael