Re: GUI integration

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: GUI integration
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 17:37:04 -0600

On 02/20/2013 01:53 PM, Ruud Schilder wrote:
Dear octave maintainers,

I am interested in participating in the further development of octave, in
particular the GUI development.

I just build octave 3.6.3 (running mac os 10.8.2) succesfully, after which I
found out about the developer version that is available.

I am wondering if the GUI enabled developer version works on my operating
system, and if so, should I completely uninstall my current version first
before installing the developer version?

Ruud. One can create multiple versions in separate directories and run without installing using the local executable "run-octave". So you can have multiple projects ongoing if you like. It's also possible to build the object files in a directory separate from the source code, which often is convenient. Just be organized with directory names for the various clones for various projects (i.e., changesets). You'll need to learn Mercurial (hg diff, hg status, hg commit, hg rollback, etc.).

Dan