Re: more mxe testing

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: more mxe testing
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 13:07:24 -0500

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
> On 02/22/2013 08:01 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>>
>> I assume the gnuplot is a windows/wine app?
>>
>> My guess is that the pipe between Octave and gnuplot isn't working
>> properly.

Ack. I borrowed some time on a win box today and gnuplot works fine,
so it might be something to do with pipe ipc under wine, and/or the
wine terminal emulator. I also notice some problems with other piped
commands, such as less acting as the pager when page_screen_output is
true. On real windows these all work fine.

> Hmm, I should have thought a bit more about that.  The program probably
> freezes with the "sombrero" command and doesn't get to run the "drawnow()"
> command.  That's the case, correct Mike?

Yes.

> Does Windows have something analogous to process IDs on linux?  I think it
> does, something like Cntrl-Alt-Del, right?  Can you open such a window, run
> the "sombrero" command and watch if a "gnuplot" process shows up in the
> list?
>
> I'm trying to think of some way to create a real rudimentary plot that sends
> a minimal amount of data across the pipe.

I'll try some of these tests when I have some time. I'm pretty sure
the gnuplot process was running and not using any CPU (looking at top
in a standard Linux terminal, windows commands under wine are shown as
distinct processes).

I'm not too worried about this now that I see it works perfectly under
actual windows, chalk it up to wine. It's not that important to me, I
just want to have an idea of what I should expect to work and not
work.

--
mike