Re: Octave-3.7.2+/Windows [VS2010] available

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Octave-3.7.2+/Windows [VS2010] available
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 01:10:01 -0800 (PST)

(Sorry just back from a week's holiday w/o much Internet - so a "real"
holiday)

Daniel Sebald wrote
> On 02/23/2013 01:43 AM, vinukn wrote:
>> I got some error message while exporting a variable to xlsx file
>>
>> Error Log:
>> octave:6>  h=hilb(3);
>> octave:7>  xlswrite('E:\et.xlsx',h,'h');
>> Creating file E:\et.xlsx
>> error: feval: function 'com_set' not found
>> error: assignment failed, or no method for 'octave_com_object = scalar'
>> error: called from:
>> error:
>> G:\Software\Octave-3.7.2+\share\octave\packages\io-1.2.0\private\__COM_spsh_open__.m
>> at line 49, column 37
>> error:
>> G:\Software\Octave-3.7.2+\share\octave\packages\io-1.2.0\xlsopen.m
>> at line 242, column 32
>> error:
>> G:\Software\Octave-3.7.2+\share\octave\packages\io-1.2.0\xlswrite.m
>> at line 170, column 9
>
> I would file a bug report, but can't determine if this is in the IO
> package or elsewhere.  I've searched the __COM_spsh_open__.m, xlsopen.m,
> and xlswrite.m files and see no "feval" anywhere.  There is nothing by
> the name com_set in the main IO package files or the private subdirectory.

This was a long standing issue in the windows package - for a very long time
"pkg load windows" yielded complaints about the deprecated dispatch()
functions. IIRC I have reported this quite a while ago (can't find the post
right now) to Michael Goffioul & the old OctDev mailing list.

I didn't know (or took notice) that these functions have finally been
dropped in 3.7.x.
That (dropping dispatch() etc) might also explain why I couldn't get the
Windows package to work in the MXE builds (I just assumed that was one of
the low-priority rough edges of the MXE build that could be ironed out in a
later stage).

Anyway, as outlined in another post in this thread, Michael has found time
to fix this.

> Philip, could you please take a look at the file
>
> http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/code/11662/tree/trunk/octave-forge/main/io/inst/private/__COM_spsh_open__.m#l19
>
> ?  Note the comment calls this __COM_xlsopen.m__  (why are the
> underscores after the 'm' and not the 'open'?)
> ## __COM_xlsopen.m__ - Internal function for opening an xls(x) file
> using COM/ActiveX
>
> but it is actually __COM_spsh_open__.m.

Ah a typo, thanks for catching that.

> Where is the "actxserver" routine that gives a portal to ActiveX?
>
>      app = actxserver ("Excel.Application");
>
> Perhaps that is where there is an feval failing with com_set.

You hit it right on the nose. It's in the windows pkg.

Philip