Re: Octave-3.7.2+/Windows [VS2010] available

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Octave-3.7.2+/Windows [VS2010] available
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 01:36:54 -0800 (PST)

Michael Goffioul wrote
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Daniel J Sebald <

> daniel.sebald@

> >wrote:
>
>> On 02/23/2013 07:45 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 4:30 AM, Daniel J Sebald <

> daniel.sebald@

> >> <mailto:

> daniel.sebald@

> **>> wrote:
> :
> <snip>
> :
>>> If you need that functionality, I can produce an updated installer for
>>> the windows forge package.
>>>
>>> Michael.
>>>

>> I don't need that functionality at the moment since I don't use Windows
>> much.  But it begs the question about creating and reading Excel files on
>> Linux machines.  The ActiveX approach is very creative, but isn't
>> portable.
>>  What if some user of Linux wants to work with a group of Windows users
>> who
>> are utilizing XLS files?
>>

> AFAIK, Philip has built some smart detection system in the io package that
> will use the best method available. Under Linux, there are a couple of
> Java-based solutions that can be used by the io package. Philip can
> probably elaborate more on this, it is briefly described in:
>
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/io/function/xlsopen.html

The Java based spreadsheet I/O solutions ("interfaces") are supposed to work
under any OS where both Octave and Java are running, not just Linux, and not
just .xls(x) but also .ods and other file types supported by the interface
at hand.

There's much more info on the supported interfaces in the README files in
the <io>/doc subdir. Unfortunately still in html, because I haven't found
time to prioritize learning texinfo, sorry.

(There used to be a html2tex thing somewhere on the web I thought I could
use as a start but I can't find it anymore - that is, in a form usable for
me. I just need something simple like "html2tex in=*.html out=*.tex, without
needing to install GB's of dependency junk just to only once convert two 35
KB files.
Anyway I think these html files should be edited (by me of course) before
they're amenable for texinfo on-line documentation. They currently are a bit
too verbose, probably because they mainly serve as my own documentation.)

Philip