Re: Hello, and Optimization Code

From: Jeremy West
Subject: Re: Hello, and Optimization Code
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 15:04:38 -0500

Jordi,

Thanks for the response.  That is what I assumed :-)

We are actually using that text for the class, and will be covering that section later in the semester.  We will do our best to figure out whats going on there and what needs to be done.  Thanks,

Jeremy

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
On 22 February 2013 14:57, Jeremy West <address@hidden> wrote:
> One of my classmates has decided to work on the project listed on
> the wiki as 'improve sqp'. Its kind of a nebulous description, but
> he's looking into it.
>
> What I was wondering: Is there anyone currently working on this? Is
> there a 'guru' or a maintainer for this section of the code that
> could perhaps give a little more direction on what needs work
> (besides sqp) or whats being worked on? Thanks.

Seeing the lack of response that this got, looks like your answers are
"no" and "no".

However, sequential quadratic programming is a very standard
optimisation technique. It is, for example, described in Nocedal &
Wright, chapter 18. We also have a reference implementation, so that
sqp should at least do as much as Matlab's function. As a start, you
can compare both functions and see where Octave's is lacking.

- Jordi G. H.