Re: Octave-3.7.2+/Windows [VS2010] available

From: John Frain
Subject: Re: Octave-3.7.2+/Windows [VS2010] available
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 22:14:45 +0000

On 64-bit Windows 7 I get the misplaced cursor problem with both "Courier New" or "Lucida Console". However font "8514oem" appears to work. (I think that this is a Microsoft font). The problem is particularly bad when using "Consolas".   "8514oem" is not the most beautiful font but it works well in Windows 7.

No matter how I try to close octave
|File|Exit| (Ctrl + Q does noting)
Ctrl + D
exit
quit

I get a message box

Octave 3.7.2+.exe has stopped working.
A problem caused the program to stop working. Windows will close the program ans notify you if a solution is found

and a button which says "Close Program"

I have seen this type of Windows  message many times when a program crashes. Basically it is not a problem for me as the problem occurs when I am exiting and can simply use the button to close the program. Perhaps the problems are Windows 7 64-bit specific. I don't know.

Many thanks for the work that has gone into producing the GUI.  It will be much easier to get students and others accustomed to Windows to use Octave.

Best Regards

John Frain

On 28 February 2013 23:35, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM, forkandwait <address@hidden> wrote:
Michael Goffioul <michael.goffioul <at> gmail.com> writes:

> This typically occurs when the terminal font is not monospace. In the
> preferences dialog, go to the terminal tab and select a monospace font
> (like "Courier New" or "Lucida Console").

Courier New still had the same problem, but Lucida Console looks great.
Not sure why, but I can experiment and report if you have any ideas.

It might be due to non-integer font metrics. I'm still using WinXP 32 bits and I don't recall having any problem with "Courier New" font. See this for reference: https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/102899/

Michael.

--
John C Frain, Ph.D.
Trinity College Dublin