Re: UGLY_DEFS and command line length

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: UGLY_DEFS and command line length
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2013 11:02:58 -0500

On 03/02/2013 10:01 AM, Rik wrote:

I broke up the sed patterns and put them in a file to work around the line
limitations in the shell rather than in sed.  Doesn't that problem (bug
#38372) still remain?  It seems like "cmd1 | cmd2" must initially be parsed
by a single interpreter which means the overall command line length is
still an issue.  Now that two UGLY_DEFS replacements have been taken out
the line length may be under the original bug reporter's length, but that
should probably be verified.

Oh, right. Well, did the original bug report ever identify exactly what shell it is that has this limit?

It may not matter now (it is 2013, right?) but I remember there was some old sed that had a limit of 100 expressions, so even if the command line length is OK, it may still be necessary to use two calls to sed.

Or, maybe we should just fix this some other way. If we need to do more work on this, then maybe we could have configure generate shell scripts that we run in place of the $(do_subst_config_vals) Make macro. Then the the target files that we generate can depend on the shell scripts instead of the Makefile.