Re: Enabling OpenMP by default

From: Susi Lehtola
Subject: Re: Enabling OpenMP by default
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 11:23:06 +0200

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 21:03:30 -0300
Júlio Hoffimann <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I could not disagree more with this statement. It assumes no other
> > processes
> > ever need to use your hardware concurrently, which is usually _NOT_
> > the case.
> >
> Hi Carlo, that's a good point. I always prefer write code for multiple
> cores though, no matter the speed up. I hope as the technology
> evolves, the performance gains will become noticeable. And of course,
> another justification is that it can sometimes be achieved with tiny
> effort.

But this is really unintelligent behavior. Plugging in parallellism
always includes an overhead, and because of that parallellized code can
be *SLOWER* than the serial code.

Using parallellism for parallellism's sake is not sane behavior. In
places where the operations are CPU bound using parallellism can be
fruitful.
--
Susi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor