Re: New parser and command line functions

From: Michael D. Godfrey
Subject: Re: New parser and command line functions
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 16:52:27 -0400

On 03/13/2013 12:58 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 03/13/2013 12:02 PM, Rik wrote:
3/13/13

John,

You might want to take a look at the parsing of command line functions. I
tried this,

octave:1>  function y = mysin (x)
y = sin (x);
endfunction
�: interpfcn/symtab.h:2039: static void
symbol_table::set_curr_fcn(octave_user_function*, int): Assertion `scope !=
xtop_scope&&  scope != xglobal_scope' failed.
Abort

and got thrown back to the shell.

It seems to work for me, so I'm not sure how to debug the problem.

Not that I want to invest the time, but this bug and the previous one with
debugging, could only be caught by an interactive test suite such as one
written with expect. Our current m-file based strategy doesn't get at these.

The test suite used to be in expect (DejaGNU) but it was somewhat harder to write tests than it is now. And, as I remember it, slower to run the tests, because each one started a new Octave process. Maybe those problems could be avoided by automatically generating the tests for expect from the current tests we have and using some other method of running them with expect that what we were using. But as you imply, it would take some time to make that work...

jwe

Well, on fc18 x86 and latest devel:
octave:1> function y = mysin (x)
> y = sin (x);
> endfunction
octave: interpfcn/symtab.h:2039: static void symbol_table::set_curr_fcn(octave_user_function*, symbol_table::scope_id): Assertion `scope != xtop_scope && scope != xglobal_scope' failed.
Abort (core dumped)
[pbdsl3:octave]

So, there does seem to be a problem.
Is there more information that I could provide?

Michael