Re: GUI no longer building by default

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: GUI no longer building by default
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 17:23:34 -0400

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
> Right now the configure script checks utilities individual, which allows a
> sort of mix and match scenario.  It might be better to have a sort of double
> loop which first checks for all required utilities with the "qt5" suffix,
> then all utilities with the "qt4" extension, then no extension.  But...

I like that idea. On my system (Debian) rcc is the exception that does
not have a "-qt4" suffix. You'd have to look for all tools with the
same suffix, and then if you found some but not all look for the rest
with no suffix.

> On my version of Fedora is a package called "Development files for the Qt
> toolkit" having several utilities with no suffix, and then these with
> suffix:
>
> /usr/bin/designer-qt4
> /usr/bin/linguist-qt4
> /usr/bin/lrelease-qt4
> /usr/bin/lupdate-qt4
> /usr/bin/moc-qt4
> /usr/bin/qmake-qt4
> /usr/bin/uic-qt4
>
> All required utilities are bundled in that one package.  So it seems that
> unless one is building from scratch, there is low probability of mixing and
> matching.  I think the current setup is fine, at least for the moment.

Actually it is likely if you have a distribution that provides both Qt
3 and Qt 4 co-installed. On Fedora if you install qt3-devel, which is
labeled "Development files for the Qt 3 GUI toolkit", you will have
/usr/lib/qt-3.3/bin added to your PATH, which contains moc, qmake, and
uic.

See https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?37101

--
mike