Re: More summer of code ideas needed!

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: More summer of code ideas needed!
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 23:23:08 +0000

On 18/03/2013 20:21, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
Mentoring organisation applications for Google Summer of Code are now open!

http://google-opensource.blogspot.ca/2013/03/mentoring-organization-applications-now.html

I have been cleaning up our ideas page in preparation for this:

     http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Low-Level_I.2FO

This has resulted in a number of ideas from past years being reworked
or removed. We need more ideas! It would be nice if we could get more
ideas for the Octave Forge packages.

So, what are your ideas? What else could students work on? Edit the
wiki or let me know and I can work it into the wiki.

- Jordi G. H.

I have a plan to create an interface to the C++ circuit simulator Qucs ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/qucs/ ) for Octave that would allow circuit simulation within a larger ODE system simulation. This is something I plan to do myself, but would it be suitable for a GSoC student to do some of this work?

I plan to base the C++ interface on the new classdef handle classes in development (I have seen a neat and natural way of interfacing C++ this way elsewhere, and tested it out with Octave classdef dev sources already). I have already been made a developer on the Qucs project and modified the build system to optionally generate a library that can be linked to for this work. I would want this to work with both ML and Octave though.

I don't think this will require much knowledge of circuit simulation, just reasonable C++ knowledge and skills.

Thoughts?

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.