Re: GSoC 2013

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: GSoC 2013
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 13:45:28 -0400

On 19 March 2013 13:08, vivek sagar <address@hidden> wrote:
> Im a 3rd year undergraduate student of Computer Science and Id love
> to work with Octave for GSoC 2013.

Hello, welcome.

> I took a look at the Project Ideas page and really liked the
> projects under Graphics (The OpenGL Selection and the non-OpenGL
> implementation).

So the idea there is to use libcairo for rendering:

    http://cairographics.org/

> Im downloading the development version of Octave from the repos
> right now and should have it ready in a day.

Let us know if you run into trouble during the build.

> Could you please give me some pointers as to how I should proceed ?

You should start looking at how the rendering code is structured.
These are the files that you should be interested in:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/default/libinterp/interpfcn/graphics.cc

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/default/libinterp/interpfcn/graphics.in.h

That's the general graphics code. Note that the graphics.in.h file needs to be
preprocessed by awk. In your build directory you should see the
resulting graphics.h.

The actual current implementation that calls this code to generate
OpenGL graphics is here:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/default/libinterp/dldfcn/__init_fltk__.cc

The fltk graphics toolkit is only incidental here. It was just the
toolkit that the original implementor, Shai Ayal, knew best. The
interesting bits are the OpenGL parts of this file.

You might also be interested in the other OpenGL implementation that
we have, QtHandles:

    https://github.com/goffioul/QtHandles

This code is currently external to Octave, but it would be a
worthwhile project to integrate it into Octave as an additional
optional backend.

Is this enough to get you started? Please don't hesitate to ask
further questions.

- Jordi G. H.