Re: using timers in the GUI

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: using timers in the GUI
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 02:43:38 -0400

On 03/20/2013 04:41 PM, Torsten wrote:

Yes, the patches work fine and should also fix bug #38537.
Octave now consumes approximately 12% of cpu time on my system with only
a few variables in the workspace (without the patch 3..4%). So limiting
to one update per prompt would be helpful.

I checked in a series of changes so that the workspace list is updated
just before the prompt is printed and the history list is updated just
after a line of user input is accepted.  Now I don't see any CPU usage
when Octave is idle.  Prior to that, I saw about 13%, similar to what
you were seeing, because we were calling these update functions
repeatedly even when there was nothing to do.  Even with my earlier
patch that eliminated the timers but put the callbacks in the
readline input event loop the CPU usage was about the same because the
functions were still being called many times while readline was
waiting for input.

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/bf8397caeff1
  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/072b3e6504c4
  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/610617eb84d1