Re: MATLAB 5.3.1 (1999) and latest Octave math discrepancy ..

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: MATLAB 5.3.1 (1999) and latest Octave math discrepancy ..
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 16:01:02 -0400

what version of Octave are you using?

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Will Flannery <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi, I'm running a long simulation of the Juno space probe that has about
4,000,000 iterations, the computer is a DELL laptop running Windows XP, and
I get different trajectories using MATLAB and Octave.  The math used is the
4 basic operations plus squaring with the exponent operator and the sqrt
function.  The differences occur after 5 significant digits and two million
iterations, then the physics takes over and the trajectories diverge
significantly.  I cut and pasted the program from MATLAB to Octave without
and changes necessary.

Is there any explanation for this?

<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4651123/juno1.jpg>

<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4651123/Figure13.jpg>