Re: Debugging and the GUI Editor; Qt help needed

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Debugging and the GUI Editor; Qt help needed
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 07:46:50 -0400

On Mar 28, 2013, at 3:43 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> I checked in a series of changes that improve the way the GUI editor works
> with Octave's debugger.  The editor will now display breakpoints set with the
> mouse or with the dbstop function, and it will place a pointer at the point
> where execution is currently stopped.  Clearing breakpoints with the mouse or
> with dbclear removes the markers from the editor tab.  Files are opened
> automatically as needed when stepping into functions.
>
> It's mostly working, but I've noticed a few quirks.  First, the debugger is
> not returning to parent functions properly.  I don't think this has anything
> to do with the editor, but is likely a problem that needs to be fixed in the
> debugger/evaluator.
>
> Sometimes, clicking in the editor margin to insert a breakpoint will result
> in two markers being inserted in the margin for one click.  Then dbclear
> won't always clear all of these markers.
>
> The cursor is often displayed at the bottom of the window.  It might be nice
> to automatically recenter.  Does someone know how to do that with QScintilla?
>  I looked, but couldn't see how to do it easily.
>
> When a breakpoint is set, the focus moves to the editor window.  I find that
> I forget that the focus has shifted and start typing debugging commands into
> the editor instead of the command window.  Maybe we should display the window
> but not change the focus?
>
> If the editor widget is docked when dbstop is used to set a breakpoint, it
> remains docked and hidden.  I think this will not be very helpful for new
> users, and that it would be better to pop up the editor window so that the
> command window and the editor window are both visible.  I'm not sure how to
> do that.  Can someone with Qt expertise help with that?
>
> It would be helpful if people could test these new features.  There is no
> need to report the problems I've listed above, but if you find other things
> that don't work correctly, let me know.  Or if you'd just like to say, "Wow,
> these new features look awesome!" that would be fine too.
>
> jwe

John,

I'm encountering the error ...

        interpfcn/input.cc:52:22: fatal error: hook-fcn.h: No such file or
directory

I see that hook-fcn.h  is included by input.cc in the changeset below.

        http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/f33dcbd6a005

But I don't see where it was checked in.  Oversight? or work in progress?

Ben