Re: octave-forge video package

From: Christian Scholz
Subject: Re: octave-forge video package
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 14:42:12 +0200

nitnit wrote:
PhilipNienhuis wrote
What may be of help is the patches Nitzan made to get a collection of OF
packages working, resp. compiled, under MinGW; the video package is among
those:

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/My-patches-for-octaveforge-pkgs-Mingw-build-td4644174.html

A welcome extension would be a getframe() function (that grabs a screen
window, to be added to a video file later on).

I'd be very glad if the video package could be made to work smoothly
again.

Philip
While building an octave-3.6.4 mingw binaries, I have tried to build the
video package with recent ffmpeg libs and got some errors with both current
svn video package and my patched video package, so be aware that my patched
video package can be built with the older ffmpeg lib (git-41bf67d from
august 2011).

Nitzan

Nitzan

Well for now I have changed only the aviread.cc function. It's now returning a struct array of frames with two fields "cdata" which holds a height x width x 3 uint8 array containing the three image channels and a "colormap" field which is just empty because
indexed video formats are not yet implemented in the AVHandler.
Also with help vom #octave I changed the conversion from libav to octave to use fortran_vecs using uint8NDarray instead of double. This speeds the whole thing up by a factor of 3, is fully compatible to matlab and makes sense because video formats with more than 8bit per channel
are exotic and the code wasn't intendet for that anyway.

Should I submit it to the patch tracker already? As I'm not really familier yet with the right conventions
the code might require some clean up but I think it's useable.

A problem might be that this is not backwards compatible with the way it worked before,
because I'm returning structs now instead of a single image.

Christian