Re: core, matlab, & OF name conflicts [Was: strsplit needs an update]

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: core, matlab, & OF name conflicts [Was: strsplit needs an update]
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 12:00:01 -0400

On 03/31/2013 11:40 AM, Richard Crozier wrote:

Yes, but by then Octave will have supplanted Matlab :-)

Seriously, do you mean the issue would be that the OF control package
would *not* have the same name as the maltab package, or that the
problem would be that it *would* have the same name and conflict with
the OF package?

In the first case, could you have a mechanism to map one package name
onto another e.g.

mappkgname OFcontrol control

which you could put in your .octaverc or similar so control.thefunction
is the same as OFcontrol.thefunction?

The second case is more difficult, and probably requires changing the
package name, but what are the odds they choose the same name in every
case?

I was thinking more about whether having package names helps with internal name conflicts in the package functions if we have to have the same package names for compatibility. I don't think it matters whether the names are mapped to match or just renamed.